[Cos-top] Mota et al. astro-ph/0503683

Boud Roukema boud at astro.uni.torun.pl
Fri Apr 1 14:16:49 CEST 2005

hi cosmic topology friends,

IMHO this mailing list can be used something like a continuous workshop,
with a mix of new results, informal discussion, links to software and data.

The question of whether we want to risk talking about "unpublished ideas"
is something that i guess will evolve by practice.

At a workshop, we almost certainly give each other lots of new ideas - and who
gets the credit for a one sentence comment over lunch during many hours of
discussion that probably gets redigested into the back of your mind and then
you think it's your own idea?

In this case, the list is publicly archived - after any of us send an email
to   cos-top at cosmo.torun.pl,   we should be able to check what was sent a
few minutes later here:

http://cosmo.torun.pl/pipermail/cos-top/

so even though this does not count as formal "journal" publication, at least
in our community we know who mentioned what idea, when.

In fact, my feeling is serious discussion on this list might lead to
many-author papers. After all, SNeIa and CMB people published important papers
with 30-40 or however many authors, so surely it's better to publish a very
good paper with many authors than to miss results because we're not working
together...

Anyway, Marcelo and his colleagues just put out a nice article about
the observational situation in the limit | Omega_tot - 1 | << 1  (there's
an obvious error in the abstract stating that the discussion concerns
| Omega_tot - 1 | << 0 ;-)

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0503683

cheers
boud

PS: Hi Taro - we had a small workshop in Paris a few weeks ago and decided
to start a publicly archived mailing list + a wiki page - feel free
to join the list at: