[Cos-top] half-turn space analysis; new spherical 3-manifolds ?

Boud Roukema boud at astro.uni.torun.pl
Thu May 10 10:53:31 CEST 2012

hi Sven, cos-top,

On Thu, 10 May 2012, sven.lustig uni-ulm.de wrote:
> Zitat von Boud Roukema <boud astro.uni.torun.pl>:

> In the notation of Peter Kramer N1-N7 are platonic manifolds.
> In contrast N8-N11 are orbifolds. These orbifolds are generated from platonic
> manifolds using their discret rotation symmetry.

Thanks for the correction - I think you are saying that these are
orbifolds that are not manifolds. Is that right?

>From what I understand (e.g. [1] and discussions with Jeff and Vincent),
   manifold without boundary \Rightarrow orbifold,
but
   orbifold \not\Rightarrow manifold.

So that means that the word descriptions of N8-N10 in
http://arxiv.org/abs/1009.5825 (v1 and published version) are
incorrect in the sense that these are not 3-manifolds, although they
are 3-orbifolds.

Also, do you mean N8-N10? I don't see N11 defined in 1009.5285.

cheers
boud

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbifold