[Cosmo-media] how GazWyb got interested in our paper

Andrzej Marecki amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
Tue May 25 17:47:42 CEST 2004

> > I'm pretty sure they would get interested.
>
> i'm not convinced it would be that easy,

In case of GW it would, I'm pretty, pretty sure!!! Despite of what you have
suggested (or at least what I read between the lines of you previous mail)
the "strategy" of GW science editors is by no means to be a transmission
belt between the media owned by the "superior" American/British science and
the Polish reader. Instead, the try very hard to show that Poland - even
being such a poor country - contributes to the science successfully.

Sometimes they are ridiculous doing that. For example, in Feb 2002 they
announced (on the 1st page!) that Polish astronomers found dozens and dozens
of exoplanets in one go. Later it turned out that they were just
_candidates_ and only a couple of them are planets indeed.

Nevertheless, if someone in Poland has a decent scientific result and calls
GW they are very keen on printing it just to "cheer-up" this sad nation.
(That's my personal and biased opinion of course.)

am