rozmawianie w CAMKu-Warszawy dzisiaj

bp w astro.princeton.edu bp w astro.princeton.edu
Czw, 14 Mar 2002, 11:53:44 CET

There are two independent observing projects going on in Warsaw which have
cosmological implications.

Janusz Kaluzny of CAMK discovered (with his associates) a number of
detached eclipsing binaries in several globular clusters.  These are
ideal objects to measure the ages, far superior to the traditional
"isochrone fitting" method, which suffers from uncontrollable errors
due to lack of understanding of convective envelopes (mixing length
"theory".  The method used by Kaluzny is based on the very robust
mass-luminosity relation for stars near the main sequence turn-off point.
Enclosed is the abstract of a relevant paper: astro-ph/0111089.
This is the most reliable (so far) determination of the age of any
globular cluster.  More work will be done soon by Janusz Kaluzny and
his collaborators.

Another project is OGLE, and enclosed are two papers by its leader, Andrzej
Udalski of the Warsaw University Observatory.  The project provides the best
(so far) determination of the distance to the Large Magellanic Cloud, which
is the first step towards the determination of Hubble constant by the HST Key
Project and other groups.  OGLE will keep refining the LMC distance
determination using variety of methods - stay tuned.

Bohdan Paczynski

Astrophysics, abstract
astro-ph/0111089