one small question

Boud Roukema boud_roukema w camk.edu.pl
Śro, 19 Gru 2001, 19:59:43 CET

Cze¶æ everyone,

>  Has anybody heard about estimations of black hole mass in normal nonactive
> galaxies ??
>  I mean some names, papers etc. mostly about statistics of BH mass
> distribution.

The first talk I heard where there was a strong claim that supermassive
BH's (SBHs) exist in *most* galaxies, maybe all, was a review talk at
the Kyoto (1997) IAU. The general opinion is that there is an observational
relation between bulge mass - of all galaxies - and SBH mass. The most
"late-type" spirals, which should really be called "disk" galaxies,
have small bulges, and so are expected to have the lowest mass SBHs.

Observationally, the mass is between the velocity dispersion of the
bulge "sigma" and the SBH mass (OK, that is not directly observed either).

Here's a nice long list. I wonder if something in the software between
my computer and the final web archive will cut off the string which is
longer than 80 characters...

http://de.arXiv.org/find/astro-ph/1/supermassive%3Bblack%3Bholes/0/1/0/2001,2000,1999,1998,1997/0/0

I've picked what seem (to me) to be the interesting ones.

I remember that from astro-ph abstracts, there has been debate about
whether the relation M_SBH/M_bulge is linear (always about 15%) or
non-linear. Since almost no astrophysical mass relation has nice power
law indexes, I'm sure it's unlikely to be exactly unity, and more likely
to be a broken power law with two regimes ;-)  - the trick will be to
work out why, and separate the cosmological and non-cosmological parts...

I've ***-ed the explicitly non-AGN articles.

Observational:
-------------
review
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0107134,
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0008310,
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0006053 Merritt \& Ferrarese
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9803211 Merritt

review
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0105230  Kormendy \& Gebhardt
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0007401  Kormendy "SBHs in Disk Galaxies"
***I don't think these are AGN disk galaxies ;-)***

ApJ big paper
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0010240 Sarzi et al.

review
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9803307 Ho

debate back in 1997: really SBHs are just compact star clusters?
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9704232 Moffat

"Supermassive Black Holes in ***Inactive Galaxies***"
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0003268 Kormendy \& Ho
"Supermassive Black Holes in AGNs"
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0003267 Kormendy \& Ho

IBH (intermediate mass BH - exciting - it's a star cluster BH -
suggesting that BHs form in star formation clusters and that some
may rain down into SBHs...)
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0106252 Ebisuzaki et al.  [XRay:(ASCA + Chandra) + Optical:Subaru]

http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0109441
X-ray Evidence for Supermassive Black Holes in ***Non-Active Galaxies.***
Komossa et al.

SBHs in AGNs vs ***non-AGNs***
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0104380 Ferrarese et al.

Is there an SBH consistent with the claimed relation in the spiral M33?
Maybe: http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0107359 Merritt et al.
No: http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0107135 Gebhardt et al.
(I find Merritt et al. more convincing.)

relation of SBHs and radio emission
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9801129 Franceschini et al.

SBH mass versus light concentration
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0111152,
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0110159 Graham et al.

galaxy cores as relics of SBH mergers
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0110185 Milosavljevic et al.

limits on accretion rates onto SBHs
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0005516  Matteo, Carilli \& Fabian

Theoretical:
-----------
very nice link between planet migration, SBH mergers and AGN activity
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9912111 Gould \& Rix

Formation of Quasar Nuclei in the Heart of Ultraluminous Infrared Galaxies
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9901333  Taniguchi et al.

g formation models
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0007369  Haehnelt & Kauffmann

Thus spake God:
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0109325  Silk

Thus spake God \& God (but there are apparently strong counterarguments):
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9801013  Silk \& Rees

how black holes are fed
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0112096 Zhou, Haehnelt, Rees

Thanks for asking for that. It gave me a good excuse to look up
some fun stuff which I'm not working on directly. Which will be useful
as a reference later on (if it's not outdated).

You'll have to do the work of finding the published references, at
http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/, not everybody takes the effort to add
these to astro-ph...

Pozdrawiam
Boud