another cosmology book?

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pią, 16 Sie 2002, 15:18:10 CEST

Hi everyone,
    Sorry if the method of deciding and ordering library books on
cosmology was a little confusing - I'm still learning about how things
work here, so I take any blame which is due. A bunch of books has been
ordered, and most have arrived, and Karolina and I will try to make up
a list of these to help guide students and anyone else interested.

Anyway, I just saw that a book has come out by one of the main people
in observational cosmic topology work (Janna Levin):

http://pup.princeton.edu/titles/7324.html

> How the Universe Got Its Spots:
> Diary of a Finite Time in a Finite Space
> Janna Levin
> Cloth | 2002 | $22.95 / ?15.95 | ISBN: 0-691-09657-0
> 224 pp. | 6 x 9 | 68 line illus.

Why I think we should buy this:

* The level of difficulty is for the common reader, but I think this
should be a good motivational book, and good for bringing students up
to "state-of-the-art" cosmology.

* Also, most of the books we have say almost nothing on the
global shape of the Universe.

* There also seems to be a selection effect in the cosmology books we
have so far: 50% of the population is unrepresented, and since the
number of introductory cosmology books we have is something like
a dozen or so, having zero introductory books by women is about
3-4 sigma inconsistent with unbiased selection.

Could anyone with comments please provide them within a week or so?

This way, there would be a chance of having the book not too long
after students start in October-ish...

Cze¶æ
Boud