favoured topology of Universe candidates

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Śro, 9 Sty 2002, 23:54:48 CET

Dear Ken & Alison,
   I would be pleased for my scientific work to be featured in the
article. :)

I don't know how much you would like me to write and how much you
would like to rewrite yourselves. But I think it's in the interests of
non-scientists' right to "eavesdrop on science" for me to give you more
detail, including published references, than you are likely to want to
publish. If you wade through the articles and come out feeling dizzy,
please feel free to ask more questions and I'll try to help clarify
things.

Even so, I'm not convinced that my initial response explains enough
for the lay reader, but it's already rather long as it stands, so
have a read through and tell me where you want to go from here.

* General reading:
I would strongly recommend that you read my BASI review

http://uk.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0010185

which should be quite accessible to science journalists and give you
my version of how the different approaches relate to one another.

* Affiliation:
By the time your article is published, my affiliation will be
Torun Centre for Astrophysics, University of Nicolas Copernicus, Torun

> 1) Which (if any) of the current candidates for the topology of the universe
> do you favour, and why?

1a) which candidates do "I favour" ?
1b) why?

1a) which candidates do "I favour" ?

Well, the verb "to favour" is really about my personal pyschological
reactions, which only weakly correlate to scientific reality!

But I can tell you the three candidates, in chronological order, for
which I think observational predictions should be tested, as well as
the intuitive, subjective probabilities which I've tried to assign to
their being correct - since you asked! If that's what you mean by
"favour", fine.

(1) "three cluster identity": Coma cluster/RX J1347.5-1145/CL09104+4109
model class: 2-torus
comoving size of Universe: about 1 h^{-1}Gpc (Hubble constant = 100h km/s/Mpc)
subjective probability: 10%