spotkania cosmo-torun 21-25 stycnia?

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Czw, 10 Sty 2002, 21:44:58 CET

Cze¶æ wszystko,
   Proponujê wizytê w Piwnice 21-25 stycznia, i spotkania cosmo-torun.
Co my¶lecie?

My guess is that a one-hour meeting would be enough, but Andrzej suggested
a full afternoon. I would be happy either way, but it only makes sense
to do what most people prefer.

Could everyone (except Motylek who I presume is in JBO now) say what
they would prefer in terms of (i) time length (ii) which time
(iii) which topics?  I suggest people just write their answers to
the list or concatenate them with previous answers. Our numbers are
small enough that cut/paste should be enough.

(i)
1 hour meeting ?
one afternoon 14h-17h30 meeting ?

(ii)
Mon 21  Tue 22  Wed 23  Thu 24  Fri 25
Which are impossible? preferred?

(iii)
My idea of an easy cut/paste way to see what people want to talk about.

Please put a rating + 0 - in front of the following topics (or
concatenate your rating to previous ones). The values are +1, 0, -1
respectively.  The final ratings are added up and then we will know
which people are most interested in.

science
-------
+ Rafa³ - cosmic topology? (Just say something about what you
understand, or what your questions are, or why you think we're doing
things wrongly, what you think we should do, whatever! This is not an
exam: we know you have not published any research papers in the
subject, so there's no embarrassment if there are gaps in your
knowledge. There are certainly big gaps in my knowledge. Be creative!)

+ Micha³ F - quintessence? Could you teach us something about quintessence,
scalar fields in a way that we all understand and can relate to our work?

+ Sebastien - something about OCRA? What you are doing, what is planned,
the time schedule. How the scientific use of the data is planned (this is
in fact partly a political question, which you should probably discuss with
Andrzej Kus - maybe Andrzej K could come along and let us know what the
ideas for this are so that nobody gets upset by us suggesting analysis
plans against the wishes of the people running the project!)

0 Andrzej M - non-topology work or topology work, as you like

- Micha³ H - something about your AGN work

- Boud - cosmic topology; cosmic standard ruler; or galaxy formation

meta-discussion
---------------
+ discussion of the cosmo-torun list, what do people think of creation
of the other spinoff lists I've suggested (listed below) or which
others may suggest, in particular, the idea of a list dedicated to
each project or article?

0 development of cosmo-torun web pages - is anything needed yet?

Ideas for spinoff lists:
-------------
* cosmo-seminar:
For organising meetings (whatever the title, "journal club", "seminar",
"workshop", "conference") in Toruñ and/or Warsaw and/or other Polish
cities (e.g. there's a theoretical cosmo group in Kraków). I suggest
no access restrictions, since no "unpublished research ideas" are likely
to be posted here.

* cosmo-pl:
For general discussion, organisational, scientific, whatever, among
Polish cosmologists and extragalacticians. Again, no access restrictions.

* topo-rlagn: [cosmic topology radio-loud AGN projects]
* ocra: Sebastian Sober ?

* shape-univ:
I've offered to Andrzej Woszczyk and said to some students that I
would be happy to teach a "monograph course" on observational
constraints on the shape of the Universe (curvature + topology)
during the next semester (which I believe starts 18th Feb 2002).

* other
Are there any existing lists? Someone told me something about a list
called astronomia w astri.uni.torun.pl . It seems to me one list which
could be useful (for publicity purposes) would be one for discussing
TCfA web pages. It's not always obvious what changes are good ones,
and it's a lot of pressure on the webmaster if he/she alone has to
decide to accept/reject suggestions/requests. A mailing list would
make the decisions more collective.

Pozdrawiam,
Boud

a rating to (respectively) in order that the meeting can be in the
best interests of everybody! Just cut, paste and edit!

-- cut ---- cut ---- cut ---- cut ---- cut ---- cut ---- cut ---- cut --

(i)
1 hour meeting ?
one afternoon 14h-17h30 meeting ?

(ii)
Mon 21  Tue 22  Wed 23  Thu 24  Fri 25
Which are impossible? preferred?

(iii) Please add + 0 - to the beginning of each line. You can add
other lines for discussion if you wish!