prosba o komentarz (fwd)

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Czw, 16 Paź 2003, 13:58:50 CEST

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Michal Frackowiak wrote:

> about my scepticism - I 100% agree with your comment in the newspaper.

In reality it's *our* comment, more or less including the comments
from everyone of us who responded quickly enough for Łukasz's deadline...

The bit which Łukasz printed was the bit that i contributed the least to :).

Just compare all the texts (all online) if you don't believe me.

> it is not enough for the theory to be consistent.
>
> my scepticism is more about the data, not the idea itself - it would be
> great to verify it! but it is amazing how people (theoretists) react to
> even small inconsistencies within the model/data.... and I suppose this
> quadrupole level is a fake alert although it can wake up some brilient
> theoretical ideas.

The theoretical ideas (whether or not brilliant :) had *already* woken
up since 10 years ago (in my case since 1994 - my paper published 1996
started from thinking in 1994).

i would say it's amazing how people have *ignored* topology for so long,
despite it's obvious fundamental importance.

IMHO, the media fuss following Max Tegmark's NYT article many months
ago and now the Luminet et al Nature article are simply bringing the
balance of attention back to a fairer comparison of the different FLRW
models (flat with trivial topology vs flat/spherical with non-trivial
topology). i agree that the problem in the data is not highly significant,
but it does happen to match a generic prediction that has been made
by people working in cosmic topology.

anyway, back to work...