superluminal motions & H_0 - comments from Ajk - Bartek's IAP talk

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pon, 30 Sie 2004, 16:10:20 CEST

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Bartosz Lew wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Boud Roukema wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Bartosz Lew wrote:
> > > On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Boud Roukema wrote:

> > > detected when they are superliuminal. in fact superluminality isn't a
> > > condition "sine qua non" for doing this thing.
> >
> > It seems to me that they are more *likely* to be detected when they
> > are superluminal - and the doppler boosting has a big role in this.
> >

> I agree, thats why we try to play only with these guys, but it's a trade
> of choosing between luminosity (superliminality) and angular resolution
> ofthe VLBI capabilities measuring proper motions.

Ouch. That's probably something else which needs to be modelled
and corrected. Selection effects are what a lot of the hard work is
about in observational cosmology... ;)

pozdr
boud