proposed co-authorship

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pią, 17 Wrz 2004, 15:46:25 CEST

Hi Frode, Bartek,

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Frode K. Hansen wrote:

> Dear Boud and Bartek
>
> >   Please find attached the draft of a paper of which we invite you to
> >be co-authors.
> >

> Thank you for the invitation. I would be happy to participate as
> co-author (who else is participating?) I'm not sure what the scope of
> the paper is, if it is only the part which you have attached or if you
> intend to include more stuff. As Kris already knows, I have a lot of
> material for a paper which we started on some years ago but never
> finished. This includes testing of the numerical precision of the
> Healpix algorithms. If you intend to include this, I would be happy to
> provide you with it (I still need to check that I have all of it after
> all these years....).

Great! For me it would be fine to have the paper in two parts:

(1) the algebra of the pixelisation system
(2) testing of numerical precision of the HEALPix software

but let's hear what Bartek thinks.

i should make it clear, to avoid any misunderstandings, that Kris and
i have different points of view on different levels of freedom
in software licencing issues (GNU GPL versus what Debian terms "non-free"
licences), but IMHO there is no reason for this to be a problem with having
both (1) and (2) in our paper. (1) The algebra is independent of any software
at all, and (2) while personally i prefer GNU GPL, there are a huge number
of cosmologists using the software under its present licence and it is
clearly in their interests to be aware of numerical precision tests that
have been done.

Since you've done the work, and it's useful, it should be published.
And there's no need to unnecessarily multiply the number of articles
published (even if that helps with job committees, but i have a job now :).

In that case we'll need a new title. How about something like this?

"An algebraic derivation of the healpix pixelisation scheme and numerical
precision of the HEALPix software"

This way it clearly says that one bit is algebra, independent of any
software, and the other bit is hands-on software stuff, useful to users
of the software.

Any better suggestions?

We haven't heard back from any of the other people who seem to be "official"
HEALPix collaborators (i didn't contact Tony Banday directly, because he
requested not to receive emails from me - if you wish to contact him,
please feel free to do so).

Bartek: do you have any comments on including Frode's work in our
paper?

Cheers
boud