[Cosmo-torun] Re: [Cosmo-media] the shape of the universe (fwd)

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Czw, 16 Lut 2006, 17:11:07 CET

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Andrzej Marecki wrote:

> > A boycott by just one person is not a boycott.
>
> Yes, but denying boycott, even in that "useless" form, you support them!
> You help them fill their pages and... make money.

True. News is a filler in order to attract readers/viewers who are sold to
advertisers. As Patrick Le Lay, president of French TV station TF1 said,

http://www.lexpansion.com/patrick_le_lay,_president_directeur_general_de_tf1/791724/art/32.0.77108.0.html

... the job of TF1 is to help Coca-Cola, for example, to sell its
product. [...] In order for an advertising message to be perceived,
the brain of the television viewer must be available. Our broadcasts
are aimed at making that brain available: i.e. by distracting it, by
relaxing it and preparing it between two messages. What we sell to
Coca-Cola is time with this available human brain."

> > Does refusing debate with organisations supporting human rights violations
> > support or damage our goals?
>
> All I can say is that talking to them you give them credit. Then they can
> proudly say "Look, top scientists talk to us. So we are credible". But THEY
> ARE NOT!!! Look at that %$@##&% bull.... they print in "Fakt". What I'm
> really afraid of is that talking to Newsweek you give them copyright to
> reprint what you've said in "Fakt".
>
> --
> Andrzej
>
> P.S. More than once I was asked to talk on Radio Maryja, one of the nastiest
> and extremely dependent medium in this country. And I declined each and
> every time! No-one knows (until now ;-) I did so. So that was not a true
> boycott according to your definition. But I did so because I didn't want to
> give them credit.

Strong argument!

BTW - if this is not a private question, did RM ask you to talk about
*cosmology/AGNs* ??? or another, non-astro subject?

pozdr
boud