[Cosmo-torun] Mon 19 Nov 16.30 @sala XX.IF: JP Luminet - the shape of space

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Czw, 18 Paź 2007, 17:35:57 CEST

Witam

The embassy changed its plans a bit, so now Jean-Pierre's talk is planned
for Monday afternoon 19 Nov as a regular sala XX seminar:

16.30 on Mon 19 November, sala XX, Instytut Fizyki (ul. Grudziadzka, 5)

TITLE:
The shape of space : from black holes to cosmic topology

SPEAKER:
Jean-Pierre Luminet, Laboratoire de l'Univers et Théories (LUTH),
Observatoire de Paris-Meudon, http://luth2.obspm.fr/luminet.html

ABSTRACT:
The decription of the shape of our physical space at various scales
(length scales or energy scales) involves a rich variety of
geometrical models, each depending on the underlying physical
theory. Imaging distorted space and time by gravitational and quantum
fields is a big challenge of modern fundamental physics. I shall
discuss such space representations for describing the shape of space
around and inside black holes, next the global shape of our universe
in the framework of cosmic topology. Striking movies and color
visualizations will be displayed.

He'll give a talk about Copernicus - in French - in the morning at 11.00am
at "the University" (i guess Collegium Maius, though this is just a guess)
and the new Alliance Francaise will be opened at 15:00 (which is why JPL will
come straight from the opening ceremony to Instytut Fizyki and we suggest
16.30 as the official starting time).

We suggest an informal meeting over dinner some time in the evening,
especially for the people in our cosmology group who will be in Torun
at the time!

pozdr
boud