[Cosmo-torun] 200-bit precision floating point arithmetic and trigonometry?

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Wto, 3 Lut 2009, 16:37:23 CET

hi cosmo-torun,

This follows from a conversation some of us had recently.
Debian stable (etch) includes GMP and MPFR - i ran a test program
which quite nicely does e.g. 200-bit floating point operations,
including trig functions, and gets reasonable answers. :)

Source + doc:
   http://gmplib.org/
   http://www.mpfr.org/

These are both under the LGPL instead of the GPL, so it turns out
that... the non-free program Mathematica uses the free program GMP !
So apparently non-free software libraries are not good enough for
Mathematica for this purpose. Or Mathematica is just "abusing the
commons".  [the commons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_commons ]

pozdr
boud