[Cosmo-torun] arXiv:1410.1687 - measuring inhomogeneity in the metric

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Śro, 15 Paź 2014, 00:39:43 CEST

hi cosmo-torun,

Our new observational method of measuring inhomogeneity in
the metric, and the initial results, are now public:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1410.1687

This will make it even harder to explain the FLRW interpretation of
observations to people just learning standard FLRW cosmology - what do
"comoving coordinates" mean physically when one of the best known
"comoving" tracers - the baryonic acoustic oscillation peak at about
105 Mpc/h - is an environmentally dependent length scale? I have
been telling almost every monograph or cosmology class at TCfA since
I arrived in Torun that a scale as large as 100 Mpc/h should definitely
be considered as comoving. Now we know that that's an oversimplification.

pozdr
Boud