[Cosmo-torun] some good links on scientific writing

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pon, 4 Maj 2015, 21:42:33 CEST

hi cosmo-torun,

With a search engine, anyone can easily find some good "how to write
good scientific English" guides, but here are a few that seem
especially useful. For our writing of journal articles, PhD theses,
and lic/mag theses, I think that these could be very useful. Even if
you write in Polish, many of the principles are likely to be the same.

* Grammatical and scientific correctness are necessary, but not
sufficient, to provide a high probability of the reader understanding
some scientific text. Gopen and Swan argue that writing short
sentences is not necessarily enough either; and avoiding technical language
does not necessarily improve readability either. They provide concrete examples
and show how and why the examples could be rewritten more clearly:

http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/the-science-of-scientific-writing/99999

* The "see also" section of this Wikipedia article seems to be its most useful
part:
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_writing#See_also
   https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Scientific_writing&oldid=627500803#See_also

* European scientific writing guidelines, including a partly Polish guideline of how to
write in English:
   http://www.ease.org.uk/publications/author-guidelines
   http://www.ease.org.uk/sites/default/files/ease_guidelines-june2014-polish.pdf

Cheers