wyklad 5 kwietnia 2002

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pią, 5 Kwi 2002, 01:06:25 CEST

Cze¶æ wszystkim,
   The following is my suggested agenda for the lecture
this afternoon 14:00 Fri 5 Apr 2002 in the Radio building.

(1) First things to play with :)
-----------------------------
cosm.tar.gz  nrec.tar.gz

You'll find these attached - I haven't checked them, sorry, I'm
tired and it's 01:06.

(2) Poll (for finding out how to work together)
--------
 During the lecture I will ask everyone (including me!) to rate how
he/she feels his/her level is from -5 (low) to +5 (high). The purpose is so
that we each get to know where each other feels strong and/or weak,
and we can help each other in their weak points.

* self-confidence

* organising skills

* unix

* fortran

* C

* pgplot

* typing speed

* comoving coordinates

* curvature

* topology

* correlation function

* null hypothesis rejection

I will suggest splitting up into pairs/triplets and discussing
these in separate groups for 20 minutes (that's less than 2 minutes
per question, so you may not be able to discuss everything).
Within each pair/triplet, please look at the strengths/weaknesses
of the other 1 or 2 people and decide how you can concretely help
the others in their weaknesses.

In particular, for self-confidence, it would be good over the next
week to make at least 1 compliment about the other 1 or 2 people in
the pair/triplet. It should be a genuine compliment - and this will
force you to try to really understand the person, otherwise it can't
be genuine...

(3) time scale
--------------
 8 weeks till 31 May

(4) possible programme
----------------------
a - play with cosm.a + nrec.a and document the routines in English & po polsku,
see how much can be thrown away because redundant and/or useless and/or
confusing
b - get everything compiled including
b1 -- reading in data files
b2 -- calculating correlation functions
b3 -- plotting correlation functions
b4 -- plotting null hypothesis rejection levels

c + add new routine for modelling ubr selection and avoiding z scrambling
d + can calculation be speeded up?

e + calculate for full 11K initial release

f + write routine for reading in Las Campanas Distant Cluster Survey
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0201534
g + calculate result (should have degeneracy similar to SNe Ia degeneracy)

h - write down method and results in English

i ** positive/negative feedback loop **
Think about the results and based on thoughts, corrections, worries,
iterate again through loop doing it better.

j Keep iterating until convergence is achieved.

  kwiecieñ 2002
 7  8  9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
   maj 2002
          1  2  3  4
 5  6  7  8  9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

(5) Question:
------------
Is it reasonable to ask everyone to write at least one email
per week to the list saying where they've got to, what their
problems, successes are?

(6) Conceptual task:
getting null hypothesis rejection probabilities
for the "D" test; how reliable, robust is the test?

Useful reference? (at least for one of Boud's weaknesses, see (2) above ;) )
http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/iss/tutorials/cprog/cccc.html

Na popo³udniu o 14:00 (not 14:15)!
Boud