14:00-15:00 cosm routines + antipodes; 15:00-15:30 feedback

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pią, 12 Kwi 2002, 13:36:31 CEST

Cze¶æ wszystkim,
   Sorry for writing so late - it just goes to prove that my own
organising skills need improving!

Last week we more or less went through the points I had suggested.
I thought that dividing into small groups with a mix of "generations"
was best; Micha³ F thought that people who already know each other
was best. The final result was to divide people randomly, so here are
the initial groups:

Tomek/Micha³-F/Rafa³

Radek/Hubert

Marcin/Andrzej-M/Boud

We have at least one person with a computer in an office at Piwnice,
so the plan was to have the lecture as follows:

* lecture structure Friday
14:00-15:00 each group meets around a computer and see what can be done
for playing with the programmes, learning how they work and working towards
the correlation function etc programmes

15:00-15:30 we meet back together in the lecture room, have coffee and
discuss how things went, problems, what to do next, etc.  (people who
do not catch the bus can stay later)

* comment: some people have more time, some have less time (e.g. only the
Friday lecture time). I don't see this as a problem - different people
should be able to accept complementary time usages.  This was part of
the exercise with getting to know one another...
[English language note: "complement" .ne. "compliment"]

* I still think this is a good plan - I got some feedback that Rafa³
and Micha³ could not compile anything of my programs ;), but below is
some initial stuff which I think should be able to keep people occupied
for 1 hour. If you can get through that, you'll have some idea of
my programming style and how to decode it ;) or improve on it.

Exercise: find out some local cosm parameter values for which we could
see the Galaxy (or the spot where the Galaxy was going to form), for a
trivial topology!

**** Today, 14:00 12 kwiêtna 2002 ****
 ----- I will wait at the lecture room for 10-15 minutes (14:00-14:15)
for any new people that turn up, or people that were missing last
week. E.g.  Pawel, Bartek, Micha³-H, if you arrive I'll explain to you
what we did last week and you can join the existing groups (or if
there are too many people, we can start a new group). ----
 ---- At 15:00 we meet back at the lecture room and give/receive
feedback. ----

See you in 20 minutes!
Micha³, thanks for the C references!

Boud

To get people started, here is a rough guide to cosm.tar.gz

cosm.tar.gz   e.g. unload in a directory called  cosm/

## x makefile, 1681 bytes, 4 tape blocks
- you'll need some routines in nrec.tar.gz, e.g. unload in a
directory called  nrec/
- you should read through the makefile in  nrec.tar.gz, make some
directories, and then type

make nrec.a

in the directory with the source and then make appropriate links
back in the cosm/ directory

## x d_l3.f, 14623 bytes, 29 tape blocks     ** proper motion distance **
- callable functions
- calculates proper motion distance as a function of z
- calculates inverse function: z as a function of  proper motion distance
- integrates an initial table the first time it's used
- test program at beginning
- depends on Om_m, Om_Lambda (called "cc_0"), w_q

test compile: switch "program" and "subroutine" at top, and

make d_l3

x d_l.f, 732 bytes, 2 tape blocks
- like d_l3.f but no Lambda, w_q dependence

x d_l2.f, 14135 bytes, 28 tape blocks
- like d_l3.f but no w_q dependence

## x pdWeiq.f, 4968 bytes, 10 tape blocks  ** proper distance **
- callable functions
- calculates proper distance as a function of z
- calculates inverse function: z as a function of  proper distance
- integrates an initial table the first time it's used
- test program at beginning
- depends on Om_m, Om_Lambda (called "cc_0"), w_q

test compile: switch "program" and "subroutine" at top, and

make pdWeiq

x pdWein.f, 6835 bytes, 14 tape blocks
- like pdWeiq, but no w_q dependence

## x tofz2.f, 6642 bytes, 13 tape blocks
- callable functions: cosmological time as a function of z and inverse
- no allowance for (w_q.ne.-1)

test compile: switch "program" and "subroutine" at top, and

make tofz2

## x antipode.f, 16710 bytes, 33 tape blocks
- This should be a fun test of your geometry intuition. Depending on
values of Om_m, Om_Lambda, w_q, find out at what redshifts the "South Pole"
and "North Pole" are (let's say that we live at the North Pole, after
all, pogoda tutaj jest prawie blisko z pogodzem z Polem Pó³nocnej... ;)

test compile: switch "program" and "subroutine" at top, and

make antipode

## Exercise: find out the most "reasonable" Om_m, Om_Lambda, w_q values
for which the "South Pole" etc. are at observable redshifts. ##

Other stuff, probably less useful for our project.

x cdm.f, 1910 bytes, 4 tape blocks
x dVdz.f, 3559 bytes, 7 tape blocks
x dVdz2.f, 4931 bytes, 10 tape blocks

x schech.f, 1806 bytes, 4 tape blocks