fishing net

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pią, 13 Gru 2002, 13:11:19 CET

Cze¶æ wszystkim,
   It's a nice analogy :).

Of course, just like nearly any analogy, this one is not perfect.

As Micha³ said, it's true that the deviations from homogeneity are
small on scales anything much bigger than the Schwarzschild horizon of
a SMBH   http://adjani.astro.uni.torun.pl:9673/zwicky/SuperMBH

Another problem is that in the 2D balloon, the positive fluctuations
(the net) are connected in a continuous network, while the negative
fluctuations (lowest density) are unconnected, separated from one
another.

In the standard (3D) model, at early times the + and - fluctuations
are typically of the same typical sizes (e.g. from the hypothesis of
"gaussian fluctuations"), and the 2D topology of contours of constant
density ("genus analysis") is connected both for + and - fluctns.

If you consider all matter more dense than some value,
- a low density value gives a "gruyere (ser) topology"
- a critical density values gives a "sponge topology"
- a high density gives a "meatball topology"

This is impossible to do with a balloon, which is 2D, since the
topology of constant density "1-surfaces" is 1D.

But I still like the analogy, because it gives a feeling of the
constraint caused by positive matter density.

na razie
boud