[Shape-univ] Cosmology Weinberg'a (UOP)

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pią, 24 Paź 2008, 10:05:35 CEST

hi shape-univ,

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Boud Roukema wrote:

> Steven Weinberg's new cosmology textbook is apparently on display
> at IF:
>
> Weinberg              Cosmology 2008 50,82 GBP 978-0-19-852682-7
> OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS
>
> Please have a look at it if you can - i'll probably have a look today

The exhibition was in principle closed yesterday at 16.00 or so, so it's
too late to check now - sorry.

> if i have the chance. i've recommended that the TCfA library buy at
> least one copy, but if it's good enough (apart from the concerns about
> page 9: http://cosmo.torun.pl/Cosmo/SWeinbergCosmologyPage9Response ),
> maybe we could buy several copies, to become a basic (or
> complementary?) textbook for our different cosmo courses.

For geometry/topology, not only page 9 has a problem, but page 3 has
two occurrences of a typo where a negatively curved space is described
as a "hyperspherical" model, whereas, of course, it should say
"hyperbolic".  The positively curved model is written as "spherical"
(which is correct as standard terminology, though in fact,
"hyperspherical" would also be correct).

The rest of the book seemed OK, though of course, i didn't have time
to check anything in detail.

Another good new book looks like this one by Ruth Durrer:

The Cosmic Microwave Background
by Ruth Durrer
Publisher: Cambridge University Press; 1 edition (7 Aug 2008)
ISBN-10: 0521847044
ISBN-13: 978-0521847049

There's a recent cosmocoffee discussion here:
  http://cosmocoffee.info/viewtopic.php?t=34

Ryden's book has good comments on http://cosmocoffee.info/viewtopic.php?t=34
and it's not too old - just barely pre-WMAP-1st year.

Introduction to Cosmology
by Barbara Ryden
Publisher : Benjamin-Cummings Publishing Company (12 November 2002)
ISBN-10: 0805389121
ISBN-13: 978-0805389128

Probably we should get at least one of each of these, maybe two since
it sounds like there's a badanie wlasne budget that needs to be
spent...

Any thoughts?

BTW, sometime i/we should update this list from the old wiki:
http://adjani.astro.uni.torun.pl:9673/zwicky/BibliotekaCosmo

pozdr
boud