shape-univ 14h@Fri 22 Feb?

Boud Roukema boud at astro.uni.torun.pl
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:36:28 +0100 (MET)

Cześć wszystce,
   This week I'm in Toruń to sort out administrative stuff which
will hopefully be finished this week or next week or so. Anyone
knowing of a nice flat, close to PKS/centrum, 40m^2, decent kitchen
and bathroom/toilet, 400zl-500zl/mois (*including* opłata za
używanie lokal mieszkalnego!), please put me in contact!

Andrzej Strobel has put my monograph course "The Shape of the
Universe" for 14h-16h piątek (instead of Michał Hanasz' course
which has shifted time slots), for either the radio or optical lecture
room at Piwnice. (Thanks, Andrzej S!)

I've asked Andrzej M if he could start up a discussion list specifically
for this course, which he could hopefully do later this week:

shape-univ:

Short description:
For coordination and content of a monograph course on observational
constraints on the shape and size of the Universe, within the FLRW model.
Time slot 14h-16 piątek @Piwnice, 22(?) Feb - 31 May 2002, starting
date not yet confirmed, frequency could be weekly or fortnightly.

Long description:
 This list is to support a monograph course on observational
constraints on the shape and size of the Universe, within the FLRW
model, or more formally speaking, on the curvature and pi_1 topology
of a comoving spatial hypersurface of the Universe, assuming that the
perturbed Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker model is a valid
approximation to the Universe. Since most of the material already
exists on the web, it is hoped that students will use this list to
create a web archive of links and summaries of links to the best
introductory materials they can find. This should include both
pedagogical materials as well as free source software for both
theoretical and observational analyses. It is hoped that the students
would each "get their hands on" some real observational data and
theoretical models and get a feel for research on this subject.

I think the shape-univ course would be complementary to other
meetings, but in some ways would overlap them. But I don't think it
could *replace* other sorts of meetings, since it does not contribute
to the extragalactic interest of one of us (Michał Hanasz), and I
think we'll only have a good group if each of us spends at least some
time thinking about how we can contribute to each other's research.

I had thought of organising a meeting directly for stimulating
cooperative research projects this week, but since that is more
difficult it's probably better to wait till I'm more relaxed and have
time to organise this properly.

So my temptation is to have the first shape-univ course this Friday
(22/02/02), and hopefully the online discussion list will be ready and
waiting. What do people think?

(Michał F - I forgot whether you said Fri morning or Fri afternoon
was excluded for you? In any case, this is a student timetable and
more difficult to shift, so I'm not sure whether it could be shifted
from this time slot.)

Co myszleście?

Pozdrawiam
Boud