next cafe plus ?

Boud Roukema cosmo-spotka at astro.uni.torun.pl
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:23:30 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Andrzej Marecki wrote:

> > How about next Friday at CAMK 27.02.2004 10.30g?
>
> Errrm, may i ask a slightly astropolitical question: do we *really* need

Of course. :)

> to meet at CAMK?? Why is that? The majority of people willing to attend
> and usually attending those meetings work in Piwnice.

Not true. At several sessions - the ones at CAMK, typically 50%
or 66.7% of attendees were from CAMK.

> So let me reiterate:
> why-oh-why do we have to meet _there_?!
>
> All right, maybe it would make some sense if there were some CAMK people
> that might be interested in attending. But... well, i can hardly count
> them. Micha³ F.? No, he works for Rudak now. Who else?

Micha³ is a PhD student who thinks for himself and is interested in
cosmology. Just because he formally has Bronek as supervisor doesn't
stop him from being able to make intelligent criticisms about
cosmology projects/results/claims/...

My idea of CafePlus is for everyone interested in extragalactic/cosmo
stuff. i don't think having an "infiltrator" associated with Bronek is
terribly dangerous for cosmology. After all, Bronek lectures in
cosmology, and even though (allegedly) he claims that the Universe "is
flat", i don't think his influence is going to damage our
cosmo/extragalactic research. ;)

And Jarek is at CAMK doing SZ stuff.

Simply the fact that at one CafePlus we discovered that Jarek was
unaware of the OCRA project is IMHO a proof of a need for inter-institute
communication. There's certainly no point *blaming* anyone (Jarek or
anyone else) - the fact is that somewhere a piece of obvious communication
that should have happened only happened due to CafePlus.

i don't think Piwnice people need to feel *obliged* to attend CafePlus
when it's at CAMK - there's no punishment or hard feelings if you
resist my moral pressure ;).

At the last CafePlus (boud + jarek + micha³ @CAMK), jarek and micha³
explained that the reason why *they* generally didn't come to Piwnice
was that coming here in the early afternoon breaks up the day, whether
going by bus or car. They would prefer that the Piwnice sessions
are either early morning or late afternoon, and preferably early
morning.

i've seen too many pairs of nearby institutes where lack of
communication leads to people in each institute saying that those in
the other institute "do nothing" and younger students - and visitors -
waste a lot of time trying to find out information on who's really
doing what scientifically or who is good to talk to about
such-and-such a question because there are too many communication
errors or too much non-communication of useful info for doing science.

Anyway, i'm not going to force anybody to CafePlus who doesn't want to
go. If only CAMK people + boud go to the CAMK sessions, and only Piwnice
people go to the Piwnice sessions, it's a bit sad (IMHO), but it's
still worth it.

pozd
boud