astro-ph/0402608 - we have to prepare a PR

Boud Roukema cosmo-spotka at astro.uni.torun.pl
Wed, 19 May 2004 14:51:52 +0200 (CEST)

hi andrzej,

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Andrzej Marecki wrote:

> During our meeting on Friday we have to discuss the issue of contacting the
> media. They *will* certainly want to know more. I have already got a query

:(   i was hoping to have time to quietly do some more calculations
and do the accompanying paper first...

Also to get our software out in GPL format.

We have an unofficial proposal for an informal chat in Warsaw with
moderators like Roman Juszkiewicz and Staszek Bajtlik between the
"different parties", probably in June. IMHO this would be a reasonable
way of moving forward with the algebra paper and getting the software
socially accepted as GPL. Remember that GPL is as much a matter of
social acceptance as formal rules.

> from press but replied it's a bit too early to ask. Sorry for not obeying a
> democratic procedure and making a decision myself - hope there is no damage
> in keeping them on hold for a time being.

IMHO you made the right decision :) - i think the reverse would have
been more likely to "do damage", asking them to wait while we have
time to think is giving everyone a chance to participate.

> My suggestion: we should prepare a PR in (at least) two languages: English
> and po polsku. Perhaps we could also elect an "official spokesman" whose
> native language is Polish to contact Polish media.

OK. At least in that case we can prepare something with sufficient
care that we can try to force the media to accept that the result is a
*hint*, it's not an iron-clad proof, and that only a lot more work and
experiments and time for independent groups to check the result
can make the hypothesis stronger or weaker.

pozdr
boud