Dimming Supernovae by Axions

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Śro, 8 Maj 2002, 13:22:34 CEST

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Andrzej Marecki wrote:

> Yet another "non-orthodox" view on SN dimming
> attributed to the expansion of the Universe:
>
> http://t8web.lanl.gov/people/terning/axion.html

Well, to me it looks like just one of the many theoretical
ideas of what dark energy could be: it does not avoid
having some form of quintessence/dark energy.

I'm not that worried whether or not  ä  is positive, zero or
negative. ;) (When people say "accelerating universe", they of course
do not mean d^2 X/dt^2 > 0 where X is a spatial position, they mean
that  ä > 0, where a is the scale factor.)

The fact of having new stuff in the universe is still exciting!

BTW, it's interesting that their ideas affect both
(i) apparent magnitudes via physical change of photons
(ii) the standard distance-redshift relations.

Standard comoving ruler measurements would be independent of (i).

But they would be able to measure (ii) by estimating w_Q.  So, let's
measure w_Q ;).

Cze¶æ
boud