[Cosmo-media] how GazWyb got interested in our paper

Andrzej Marecki amr at astro.uni.torun.pl
Tue May 25 15:10:39 CEST 2004

> Apparently GW initially heard about the CSSK paper in PRD or, it
> seems, a related paper in Nature - Staszek then redirected GW to a more
> interesting paper - ours :).

(One of) the PR(s) announcing acceptance of CSSK paper to PRL is here:
http://www.aip.org/pnu/2004/split/685-1.html

> This makes more sense in understanding how the dependent media work -
> they generally only start from stuff which is officially distributed
> from up above by the Politbiuro ;),

Is AIP a Politbiuro? If not, then where is the Politbiuro that controls AIP?
Whitehouse.gov? And who says that what AIP distributes is more "official"
than what other parties do? (I'm just curious.)

> But then they want to publish quickly, before the excitement from the
> Politbiuro announcement becomes "old news", which is why there is not
> much time to negotiate press releases where the people who really know
> have time to prepare something and to insist on something like a link to
>
> http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kształt_Wszechświata .
>
> Anyway, given the circumstances, i think Staszek got a good result. :)

Well, Jacek Kuroń, one of the leaders of Polish anti-communist movement in
70-ties (later Solidarność activist) said once: "Don't burn Politburo -
establish your own." (Not exact quotation but never mind.) Even if we assume
that AIP is a kinda of Politbiuro (?) and GW is inspired by them then
why-oh-why didn't we write to GW on 25 Feb when the 1st draft of the paper
was posted on astro-ph??! Why didn't we point their attention to both our
result and the http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kształt_Wszechświata *then*?
I'm pretty sure they would get interested.

Conclusion: IMHO, it's better to blame ourselves than "dark forces" that
govern the world.

A.