[Cosmo-torun] seminar JP Luminet 14.00 Tues 20.11.2007 @KRA

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pią, 12 Paź 2007, 16:02:40 CEST

Witam cosmo-torun,

Jean-Pierre Luminet (Laboratory Universe & Theories (LUTH),
Observatoire de Paris (France), http://luth2.obspm.fr/luminet.html)
will give a seminar here as below.  For those people interested,
i'm thinking especially of cosmology students/doktoranci, it would
be good to join Jean-Pierre and myself in the city centre in
the morning, for casual discussion and lunch. After that we will
come to Piwnice.

14.00 on Tues 20 November @KRA

TITLE:
The shape of space : from black holes to cosmic topology

ABSTRACT:

The decription of the shape of our physical space at various scales
(length scales or energy scales) involves a rich variety of
geometrical models, each depending on the underlying physical
theory. Imaging distorted space and time by gravitational and quantum
fields is a big challenge of modern fundamental physics. I shall
discuss such space representations for describing the shape of space
around and inside black holes, next the global shape of our universe
in the framework of cosmic topology. Striking movies and color
visualizations will be displayed.

pozdr
boud