xi(r) from Hoyle's P(k)

Gary Mamon gam w iap.fr
Nie, 30 Cze 2002, 21:25:39 CEST

Dear all,

I finally computed the correlation function extpected from Hoyle etal.'s
P(k) obtained from their analysis of the 2QZ-10k quasar sample.

I used the final part of eq. (21.40) of Peebles (1993) book to convert
P(k) to xi(r). I now understand that last equation as resulting from the
integral over angles of the previsou integral (which is in fact triple: dk
dtheta dphi).

I extended the P(k) beyond the values of Hoyle et al in two ways:

1) I used the theoretical BBKS (Bardeen et al. 84, appendix) P(k)
(black & white plot). Notice that Hoyle's points are about a factor of
10000 too high so the P(k) is highly discontinuous.

2) I moved up the BBKS P(k) on each side of the Hoyle range so as to make
the whole P(k) continuous.

3) Same as 2) with a step in log k decreased from 0.075 (Hoyle et al.'s
step) to 0.01. (see 4th attached file).

The three xi(r) plots are attached. The calculation were done with Omega =
0.3, h = 0.7, Omegab = 0.04.

Even though Hoyle's peak is at 2 pi h / 89 Mpc, the 1st plot shows xi(r)
with peaks at 67, 127 and 255 h-1 Mpc, close to what we (Boud really)
gave in RMB02. This gives us some confidence that Boud's calculations are
not completely wrong :-) and that there is no simple relation such as peak
in xi at 2 pi / k_peak, where k_peak is the peak in P(k).

However, in the 2nd plot, the peaks are very narrow and marginally
significant at 90.6, 107.6, 109.3, 127.8, 180.6 and 255.0 h-1 Mpc.

Finally, in the 3rd plot, it is hard to distinguish anything! However,
with some imagination, one can guess excess broad power around 140 h-1 Mpc
and a finer excess around 255 h-1 Mpc...

Let me know what you think.

	all the best

	Gary