w_Q \approx -1.5 ??? (DE-V0.04)

Gary Mamon gam w iap.fr
Pon, 3 Cze 2002, 01:35:30 CEST

Hi Boud,

> On Fri, 31 May 2002, Boud Roukema wrote:
> > Now, with a more "neutral" z distribution for the "randoms", the
> > signal should in principle be stronger - if it is real.
> >
> > Well, the resulting signal is spectacular!  :) :) :) :)
> >
> > We still have a lot of work to do (I have to get plot_cf working), but
> > it seems clear that (0.3,0.7,-1.0) gives a bad fit,
> > and that (0.3,0.7,w_Q) with
> >
> > w_Q \approx -1.5
> >
> > is likely to give a better fit and signal, which would greatly upset
> > all the theorists!

Wow!

> Well, after the initial excitement, it looks like it's going to
> be less trivial than I thought to get an analysis which is totally
> clear and as little dependent on "arbitrary" decisions as possible...
>
> Gary, as far as your talks are concerned, my feeling right at the
> moment (after having spent Friday night and the whole of Saturday
> working on this :( ) is that it would be better *not* to show the new
> plots to your seminar audiences, as they are "hot-off-the-press"
> results which have not yet been carefully enough thought through and
> checked, and they would distract from the careful, detailed
> analysis/discussion in RMB02.

Thank you for working on this. I will stick to my old guns and mention
that new more discriminating statistical analyses are in progress.

> You can certainly say that we're continuing to work on this and that
> we got some exciting stuff last week. Anyone who seriously would like
> to contribute to the project is welcome to subscribe to the mailing
> list (info below) and to help develop the software package DE.

Will do.

Do let me know how things come along. Since the signal was weak in RMB02,
you could also be bold and use all 10k quasars. Will query today (I am
partly at the AAO today), about the next data release from 2dF-2QZ.

	best regards and do ckorovo (does that work in Polish?)

	Gary