feedback 15 March lecture?

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pon, 18 Mar 2002, 15:07:11 CET

Cze¶æ wszysce

(1) starting time 14:00 proposed

In order that people can leave at 15:35 to catch the 15:52 bus, Andrzej
proposed to start the sessions at 14:00 instead of 14:15. Everybody
present was in favour, I think.  In case lunch arrives late at Piwnice,
we could start the lecture informally in the dining room - I see
no problem with this, it could help to get people relaxed and talking
informally.

So, could people please be ready to start at 14:00, in the interests
of 15:52-bus-catching people? Thanks.

(2) Fri 15 March lecture

I'm not sure if we went through enough or too much, but I realised
that although there is nothing *difficult* in
http://de.arXiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0106135,
there are *many* details to think about.

Rafa³ asked about (i) what needs to be done to my programs, (ii)
why can't we just use them unchanged?

(ii) If we use them unchanged, then we will just get the old results,
instead of exciting new results.

(i) Here's a rough guess at what needs to be done:

- rewrite the programmes to be more modular + add documentation

- add a new routine for reproducing the photometric u-b_J-r band
selection effects, so that "z-scrambling" doesn't have to be
used for the "random simulations" for correlation function calculations

- check that everything works fine on a subset and then calculate
for the full "10K" data set on a fast computer

- write input routines for the filter match selected candidate
clusters in the 0.5 < z < 1 (approx) range (I'll look up the
reference...) - this should directly reproduce the Omega_m - Omega_Lambda
degeneracy of the SNeIa data

(3) correlation functions

Rafa³ also asked about correlation functions. I suggest the 0106135
paper for the full details, but for an easy introduction, the
following paper is probably better:

http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1994A%26A...285..361R

So for next week (14:00 pi±tek 22 marca) I'll try to prepare
some information about my programs and the programs themselves...

Pozdrawiam
Boud