w_Q \approx -1.5 ??? (DE-V0.04)

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pią, 31 Maj 2002, 01:23:47 CEST

Cze¶æ wszystkim,
   I've done a bit more documentation. Now you should be able
to download, compile and run DE-V0.04:

http://www.astro.uni.torun.pl/~boud/DE/

and get some nice correlation function plots averaged from all six
high completeness 2QZ fields, very similar to the ones in RMB2002.
They're not exactly the same, because (i) the random number seeds
are almost certainly different and (ii) there are probably small
changes like different numerical accuracy on different computers,
and small changes made to the programs since the time the results
of the paper were obtained.

Guess what? I couldn't wait to work on the next step, even
when the documentation for the earlier steps is not finished...

So I wrote  DEdNdzfull  (in DEscramble.f) which instead of using
(scrambling) the z distribution of just the individual field being
analysed, uses the full z distribution of the 2QZ-10K catalogue.

It seems to me that this is a better way of producing the "true"
redshift selection effects for this particular catalogue than the
idea I had before of passing a "typical" QSO spectrum through the
optical u, b_J and r filters.

The z-scrambling technique means that some *real* signal may have
been cancelled out, so the results were conservative.

Now, with a more "neutral" z distribution for the "randoms", the
signal should in principle be stronger - if it is real.

Well, the resulting signal is spectacular!  :) :) :) :)

We still have a lot of work to do (I have to get plot_cf working), but
it seems clear that (0.3,0.7,-1.0) gives a bad fit,
and that (0.3,0.7,w_Q) with

w_Q \approx -1.5

is likely to give a better fit and signal, which would greatly upset
all the theorists!

Anyway... during today's session you should hopefully be able to
calculate these functions and see for yourself...

Na popo³udnie o 14:00 godz,
boud