DE-V0.02 more or less OK? :)

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Pon, 20 Maj 2002, 14:22:51 CEST

Cze¶æ wszystkim,

* report on Fri 17 May lecture
* credit for course
* future
* long term future (wrzesieñ/listopad 2002)
* short term future (czerwiec/lipiec/sierpieñ 2002)

* Fri 17 May lecture *
   Welcome back after 3 maja & juvenalia holidays! On Friday 17 maja
the people who turned up had already downloaded DE-V0.02, and tried to
compile and run. I helped with some minor comments, and everyone
succeeded in getting things to the stage of running DEplates for one
"field" of the 2QZ data, for one choice of Omega_m, Omega_Lambda,
and plotting a real correlation function from this using   plotcorrn.

Of course, some more work is still needed before getting correlation
functions as nice as in the final results...

We discussed how to go from here, and it seems that within the
constraint that people just work on the project during the Friday
afternoon session, we have an efficient working style which is:

- Boud adds documentation and corrects bugs during the week

- on Friday, everyone else compiles/runs the new version and gives
feedback on what bugs there are

which seems fine to me. Of course, (see below), there are only
two official lectures left...

* credit for course *

I think I need to tell Andrzej Strobel/Woszczyk which students
have officially participated in the course, so that you get credit
for it.

This is the list of students based on the list membership (excluding
PhD students and faculty, who don't need course credits!), please tell
me if you think there is anyone missing who should get a credit:

- Micha³ Fr±ckowiak
- Marcin Hajduk
- Rafa³ Kosiñski
- Hubert Krzemieñ
- Bartosz Lew
- Pawel Ludian

* future *

There are only two Fridays left in the academic year (if I've
understood the calendar correctly):

Fri 24 May 2002
Fri 31 May 2002

* long term future (wrzesieñ/listopad 2002) *

I will ask Andrzeji Kus/Strobel/Woszczyk what formal possibilities
there are for a course next semester, but it seems to me that what
is important is:

- that there is a "lecture course" where students (and faculty) can
learn and get their hands on doing real cosmology research

- that the "undergraduate" students (I-V roku) can get credit
for the course, since it takes time away from their other coursework

- that it would be best without exams, but if there is an exam, that
the students are equally involved in designing the exam with the
lecturer

Any opinions?

* short term future (czerwiec/lipiec/sierpieñ 2002) *

I should probably take some holidays and go to some conferences,
but so far my plans are still vague. If anyone (including III roku
students) thinks that he may wish to continue on the project during

czerwiec/lipiec/sierpieñ 2002

please say it on the list, or else at the next Friday lecture, as it
is more interesting to work *with* someone than alone - maybe several
people wish to work together at the same time.  Probably it would
be best if you put a probability. Here are my probabilities that
I will be available in Toruñ to work on the DE project in the
next few months:

czerwiec 2002   95%
lipiec 2002     80%
sierpieñ 2002   50%

If several people will be here in June (czerwiec), we could continue
with the same time on Fridays, if this is convenient.

Na ra¿e
Boud