PROPOSAL for machine installation V0.01

Boud Roukema boud w astro.uni.torun.pl
Wto, 8 Paź 2002, 19:11:37 CEST

##########  PROPOSAL for machine installation V0.01 ##################
### deadline Thu 10/10/02 19:00 (decisions a matter of taste, IMHO) ###
- Deb 3.0r0  or RedHat ?
I would like to install Debian 3.0r0, with the 2.4.18bf kernel
flavour. This includes software like SnapPea which is useful for
cosmic topology, and also gives the users (cosmologists) maximum
control and freedom to manage the software.

I don't imagine we could get easy consensus on Deb vs Redhat vs
Mandrake (or other) ;), but please make any comments you feel like
anyway.

- superusers - I think that Andrzej M and I should be superusers, but
at least one or two other people than me should also be su, e.g. a
student or two. This is really a more serious and longer term decision,
but if anyone wants to help install, now is the time to speak up,
since I'm eager to get started... :)

- name of machine (silk, sahni, liddle, peebles, novikov, levin?)
In the tradition of TCfA, I guess we should pick the name of
a famous astronomer. So for this machine, it should be a famous
cosmologist. IMHO, it would be fun to name it after a *living*
cosmologist, and preferably someone who's also a cool dude ;).

Since this is a question of taste, I'm not sure how we should
decide, and probably if I make an authoritarian decision, it would
be reasonable since it won't really affect other people that much.

But suggestions welcome :).

At the moment the names I've thought of include:
* liddle
* silk
* peebles
* sahni
* levin
* padmanabhan
* novikov

- partition suggestions (there are 2 disks each of 60Gb)
/           185MB
/boot        15MB
/tmp        150MB
/home       650MB
/usr       3GB
/usr/local 2GB
/var       1GB
/var/mail  1GB
/home2     2GB
/scratch1  10GB
/scratch[2-9]  10GB  -> 80Gb
/scratch10  20GB

My idea of 650MB /home is that CDROM backups should be relatively easy.

Any good ideas for partition?